FB HEADER

Search The Rusted Garden Journal: Just Enter a Key Word or Phrase

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Planting Spinach in Finger Holes

I plant my spinach quickly and easily by using finger holes to about 1/2 to 1 inch deep. I plant 2 seeds per hole. I use raised beds so I tend to plant things closer together. The other thing I do is eat my plants thus crowding is not a problem. I never really wait for full maturity on the greens and such. They just never seem to reach full size. If both seeds germinate, I let them grow a bit and harvest one for baby spinach.

So cram them together if you have a nice loose raised garden. If they get too cramped... pick them and eat them. They are spaced about 2 inches apart. The soil was amended and loosened as shown in my other blogs. I poked holes with my finger and dropped the seeds. I filled them with composted humus and cow manure.

Or, if you are worried about over crowding, harvest the center row for early spinach and every other hole along the remaining rows. Some thought is involved, but then you end up with plants well spaced out and you can let them grow to full size. This also works for beets.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Visit The Rusted Garden's YouTube Video Channel
Follow The Rusted Garden on Pinterest