FB HEADER

Search The Rusted Garden Journal: Just Enter a Key Word or Phrase

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Planting Onions from Onion Bunches

I like to plant onions from bunches. The bunches cost about $3.50 each. I am planting red and white onions. You get about 40 to 50 onions per bunch. A good deal.

Quickly in pictures... No point in over talking the pictures.

The bunches at $3.50 per bunch


Soak them for 15-30 minutes. It makes pulling them apart easier.
And it prepares the roots for planting.


The planting area is visible &  it is about 12-15 inches wide.
The whole bed  has been amended to make the bulb growth easy.


Separate the bunch into large and small piles. These are red onions.

Even though the whole bed has been amended, the onion plot gets more.
I dug a shallow trench about 10 inches wide and a few inches deep.
I did not go the whole length because I am planting some differently.
The large pile of onions will be used for this method.

The area was filled with composted manure and humus.
I mixed it into the top 4-6 inches of soil.
This is to allow the bulb easy expansion during growth.

Poke holes about 2 inches deeps. I spaced them about 3 inches apart
in groups of three. You harvest the middle row first to let the others grow.
Plant them to a depth a bit below my finger tips.

Give them a little tug up to settle air pockets.
Plant them this way if you want larger full grown onions.











No comments:

Post a Comment

Visit The Rusted Garden's YouTube Video Channel
Follow The Rusted Garden on Pinterest