Search The Rusted Garden Blog: Just Enter A Vegetable or Phrase

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Tomato: Celebrity Determinate Type: A Review



Tomato Score: Celebrity Variety: Determinate

9.25 out of 10 tomatoes overall

10 out of 10 for taste
10 out of 10 for production
  9 out of 10 for usefulness in the kitchen
  8 out of 10 for disease and pest problems
  9 out of 10 for maintenance needs


Definite keeper and I will grow it next year.


Celebrity Determinate Variety



This is the tomato I started from seed and put in the ground in my hot-house tomato cage around April 4th. It is July 20th and I have picked a 1/2 of dozen or so tomatoes.


The fruit is sweet with a low acidity. The flesh is firm through the fruit. It is an all around great tomato for slicing, salsa, salads and to eat a lone with a bit of salt. It did get early blight. It did get a leaf curl that I want to call mosaic but I'm just not skilled enough to identify it 100%. It seemed to grow through the leaf curl and I didn't really prune off the early blight leaves. Typically, I do and did on my indeterminate varieties. I wanted to see how it would manage with spray and just bottom pruning.  I did spray heavily with wettable sulfur and I believe that slowed the process.

It is packed full of fruit. Over 30 just smaller then a baseball sized fruits. A lot more are growing on top. It could be managed with a tomato cage and a singles stake. This is a great tomato I will grow next year.


Planted April 4th

Wrapped in a hot-house cage

As of July 20th


Celebrity VFFNTA Hybrid #3980 (30 seeds) $3.55   .
A 1984 ALL-AMERICA SELECTIONS WINNER. Absolutely incredible set of exceptionally flavorful, firm 8 to 12 oz. fruit on strong vines with good cover and outstanding disease resistance. Large clusters of consistently large, beautiful tomatoes. Determinate. 70 days. 

If You Use Amazon, Please Support The Rusted Garden via My Amazon Affilate