FB HEADER

Search The Rusted Garden Journal: Just Enter a Key Word or Phrase

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Tomato: Celebrity Determinate Type: A Review



Tomato Score: Celebrity Variety: Determinate

9.25 out of 10 tomatoes overall

10 out of 10 for taste
10 out of 10 for production
  9 out of 10 for usefulness in the kitchen
  8 out of 10 for disease and pest problems
  9 out of 10 for maintenance needs


Definite keeper and I will grow it next year.


Celebrity Determinate Variety



This is the tomato I started from seed and put in the ground in my hot-house tomato cage around April 4th. It is July 20th and I have picked a 1/2 of dozen or so tomatoes.


The fruit is sweet with a low acidity. The flesh is firm through the fruit. It is an all around great tomato for slicing, salsa, salads and to eat a lone with a bit of salt. It did get early blight. It did get a leaf curl that I want to call mosaic but I'm just not skilled enough to identify it 100%. It seemed to grow through the leaf curl and I didn't really prune off the early blight leaves. Typically, I do and did on my indeterminate varieties. I wanted to see how it would manage with spray and just bottom pruning.  I did spray heavily with wettable sulfur and I believe that slowed the process.

It is packed full of fruit. Over 30 just smaller then a baseball sized fruits. A lot more are growing on top. It could be managed with a tomato cage and a singles stake. This is a great tomato I will grow next year.


Planted April 4th

Wrapped in a hot-house cage

As of July 20th


Celebrity VFFNTA Hybrid #3980 (30 seeds) $3.55   .
A 1984 ALL-AMERICA SELECTIONS WINNER. Absolutely incredible set of exceptionally flavorful, firm 8 to 12 oz. fruit on strong vines with good cover and outstanding disease resistance. Large clusters of consistently large, beautiful tomatoes. Determinate. 70 days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visit The Rusted Garden's YouTube Video Channel
Follow The Rusted Garden on Pinterest