FB HEADER

Search The Rusted Garden Journal: Just Enter a Key Word or Phrase

Friday, March 2, 2012

SPRING IS HERE! What's Happening at the Rusted Vegetable Garden

It is time to plant! I wish it were that easy. The first step is preparing your garden for planting. It isn't fun but it is exercise and the work pays off.

This weekend, I plan to clean out my containers and watch last years greens come to life. I will be planting container peas and greens. My onion sets will go in the ground and I will be cleaning out several 4 x 6 and 4 x 8 raised beds for peas, lettuce, and greens.

I would love to see pictures of what you are doing for Spring. There is  a picture link above but feel free to post them where you wish.

I also plan to use some recycled domed bagel serving trays to grow seedlings. They will sit in the full sun and mature outside. It is an experiment.

All the above will be captured in pictures and put on the blog.

Good Gardening to You!

3 comments:

  1. Just finished building a 4x4 raised bed. Added the peat, potting soil and a bag of leafgro and 10-10-10 for good measure. It took about 2hrs including hauling all the dirt from my truck to the bed (liked to kill me) As you say it was work but the bed looks good and is ready to plant

    ReplyDelete
  2. Live just south of Baltimore in Anne Arundel County. Have put in my first planting of peas, spinach and radishes.Plant on putting in some beets, carrots, and lettuce next week.

    Im glad to hear you are going to put out your onion sets soon. Typically I wait a bit longer, like April however with no snow or ice, the ground is warm and dry.

    What about potatoes? Last year I put them in on St. Patrick's like the old saying. The ground was too wet. They just rotted right up. Same with the onions. Do you think it is too early for potatoes this year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im with you on the onions, peas, radishes and greens. I started lettuce in my dome experiment and cleaned up last years lettuces and greens. THEY SURVIVED.

      As for potatoes I am still learning and you can see the blog entries if you seach key word potato.

      All I can tell you is I planted mine I think in Mayish. The potatoes in containers were successfull. The bag potatoes cooked from a compost error.

      My feeling is potatoes will do fine toward the end of April for the reasons you state. Even Mayish works.

      Good Gardening!

      Delete

Visit The Rusted Garden's YouTube Video Channel
Follow The Rusted Garden on Pinterest