Search The Rusted Garden Blog: Just Enter A Vegetable or Phrase

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Spaghetti Squash: Male and Female Flowers and Cooking It!

The spaghetti squash is an outstanding addition to the garden. I get tired of slicing zukes and other squashes. You can actually bake a spaghetti squash, split in half, face down in a Pyrex dish with some water in it. You bake uncovered for about 30 minutes at a temperature of 350-375 degrees. When it is cooked you scrape the inside out with a fork and you actually end up with spaghetti looking strands of squash. Season it with sauce or dressing and your have a great side dish and even a meal.

I am growing two spaghetti squash plants along my railing. What you see is two plants. I have already pruned off some growing tips of the plants and it is still growing. It needs regular fertilizing and plenty of water to stay healthy. I spray the leaves with a preventative to protect it against powdery mildew.


Spaghetti Squash Plants: Pilarchik
Spaghetti Squash Female Flower: Pilarchik
Above is a perfect example of a female flower. You can see the flower about to open and the miniature spaghetti squash attached to it. When it opens, I can pick a male flower and pollinate it.

Below you can see a male flower that is newly open. Notice again the long plain stem below the flower. You can also see a nearly mature spaghetti squash. I will pick that in a few days.

Spaghetti Squash Male Flower and Mature Fruit: Pilarchik




If You Use Amazon, Please Support The Rusted Garden via My Amazon Affilate