FB HEADER

Search The Rusted Garden Journal: Just Enter a Key Word or Phrase

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Tomato Profile: The 'Patio F Hybrid' Dwarf Tomato



Tomato Profile: The 'Patio F Hybrid' Dwarf Tomato

The 'Patio F Hybrid' Dwarf Tomato: Gary Pilarchik


History:
It is a hybrid tomato. It is not a heirloom. Developed to provide fruit for containers and gardens with limited space. It was breed to produce fruit bigger then cherry size.

Shape, Size and Production:
It holds true to dwarf size of about 2 feet. The plant is compact and stout. The fruit varied from 2-4 ounces and it was round and red. The overall production was not disappointing and I would agree it is great for limited space. I had 4 tomato plants in the container pictured in this blog entry. It is a determinate variety that is ready in around 70 days once ground planted.

Taste and Use:
I was not impressed by the taste. It was a bit acidic but not strong and it tasted like tomato but no character. It wasn't sweet. My impression was "yeah it tastes like a tomato." 

Poor Fair Good Great Outstanding directly off the vine.
Poor Fair Good Great Outstanding salted on a plate.
Poor Fair Good Great Outstanding sliced and in a salad.
Poor Fair Good Great Outstanding in a salsa dish.
Poor Fair Good Great Outstanding as a sauce or a paste.

Poor Fair Good Great Outstanding as an overall tomato.

Mainstay - Throw-A-Way - Another Day:
It will get another day in my garden only because I have seed. It was the first to get Septoria leaf spot and though I controlled it with my sulfur spray, it wasn't really worth the effort. But since I have extra seeds, I will use them.

Comments:
Let me know if you recommend any other good dwarf tomatoes.

'Patio F Hybrid' Tomato with Good Sized Fruit: Gary Pilarchik

Another Look at the Tomato Production: Gary Pilarchik



Visit My Video How To Website: My Tomato and Vegetable Garden. Construction began July 2011 and it will host How to Garden Videos for all things gardening. The website differs from my blog: The Rusted Vegetable Garden in that it is primarily video content with few articles. The site will grow quickly.
logo with tomatoes - $20 Off Purchases $40 Or More!Spring Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visit The Rusted Garden's YouTube Video Channel
Follow The Rusted Garden on Pinterest