FB HEADER

Search The Rusted Garden Journal: Just Enter a Key Word or Phrase

Friday, July 8, 2011

Is this Blossom End Rot? Yes it is!

I have had tomatoes with blossom end rot and typically it is more symmetrical and fully on the bottom of the fruit. This is from the 'Delicious' variety and all the tomatoes are not like this. It is coming from different areas of the plant. There are 30 plus tomatoes on the plant.

All the damaged tomatoes have the damage on the bottom area.  I was wondering if this is some other disease. The leaves look green and healthy. No other signs of trouble.

So do you think it is blossom end rot or something else? Many confirmations from other gardeners for end rot. I am actually happy it is and not another issue.

I appreciate the feedback and the solution is adding gypsum to the soil. There are also products you can buy to spray on the leaves. I prefer the soil. What might I have done? I use peat moss. Sometimes I forget to mix lime in and other organic matter. If the PH gets to acidic... I read it can effect nutrient absorption. In this case... calcium.



logo with tomatoes - $20 Off Purchases $40 Or More!Spring Hill

3 comments:

  1. Hello!
    Found you through surfing. I wish I knew what your blight is. I have not had this experience before, just blossom end rot. Since not all the plants are experiencing this, I have no clue.
    Will be back to visit again; you have a great blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try staking in some calcium sulfate (gypsum) in around the plants. Sure likes like blossom end rot, which is a blaring calcium deficiency. Especially if you are a heavy compost user!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks MK
    I wasnt sure because I havent seen it on large fruit. Gypsum it is for all.

    Gary

    ReplyDelete

Visit The Rusted Garden's YouTube Video Channel
Follow The Rusted Garden on Pinterest