FB HEADER

Search The Rusted Garden Journal: Just Enter a Key Word or Phrase

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Finding Squash Bug Eggs: Seek and Remove!

If it isn't the diseases, it's insects. Now is the time of the Squash Bug and other beetles, like the vine borers. I wish we could just plant and forget but we can't.

It is time to lift the leaves of your squash, zukes, and even cukes to look for eggs. Any egg is a bad egg. Well I suppose there is a chance that the eggs are some awesome good insect. I am however, not skilled enough to know the difference or lucky enough to have them in my garden.

Here are some pictures that sum up... Seek and Remove!

My Zucchini Plant a Target of the Squash Bug: Gary Pilarchik
The Eggs of the Squash Bug: Gary Pilarchik
Bend Each Leaf Over and Look For Eggs: Gary Pilarchik
More Squash Bug Eggs: Gary Pilarchik
Squash Bug Eggs are on the Underside of Leaves: Gary Pilarchik
Look for Squash Bug Eggs Under Every Leaf: Gary Pilarchik
Squash Bug Eggs Leaf Number Four: Gary Pilarchik
A Close Up of Squash Bug Eggs: Gary Pilarchik
Another Close Up of Squash Bug Eggs: Gary Pilarchik
More Squash Bug Eggs: Gary Pilarchik
5 Leaves of Squash Bug Eggs from 2 Plants: Gary Pilarchik

You can see the I put up a lot of pictures of Squash Bug eggs. Why so many? I wanted to hit home the point that they are here and they are on your plants. You have to take the time to look for them. They will damage and destroy your plants. Remove the leaves, or tear the leaves to get the eggs and put them in the trash.

I also drop Sevin Dust on the base of my plants. It will target the main access point of the plant by beetles. 

Good Hunting!

Visit My Video How To Website: My Tomato and Vegetable Garden. Construction began July 2011 and it will host How to Garden Videos for all things gardening. The website differs from my blog: The Rusted Vegetable Garden in that it is primarily video content with few articles. The site will grow quickly.




logo with tomatoes - $20 Off Purchases $40 Or More!Spring Hill

6 comments:

  1. This is great! Thank you for the post. I just found some larvae on my zucchini. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad it helped. Keep an eye out. They lay eggs for a while. I just posted a video of the seek and destroy too. And have some pictures of the hatched critters from the eggs coming up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zone 6 here Western Kentucky. We've had squash bugs out for awhile now. I see you remove the leaves of your plants. We take a sharp knife and gently lift the eggs loosening them and put them in a container. What do you do with the squash bugs themselves ... do you seek them out laying underneath the leaves touching the ground? That seems to be where they love to hide out hoping not to be detected.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the picture! Ifound these on leaves of a pepper plant, but near my squash plants. will check for more tonight now that i know what they look like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Deb,

    Im glad it helped. They all hatch too. So removing them really works. I had some hatch in my house that were on the the stem of a spaghetti squash.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bugs and eggs in soapy water. Dead.

    ReplyDelete

Visit The Rusted Garden's YouTube Video Channel
Follow The Rusted Garden on Pinterest