FB HEADER

Search The Rusted Garden Journal: Just Enter a Key Word or Phrase

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Video: Using Baking Soda to Manage Powdery Mildew in the Vegetable Garden

Visit The Rusted Garden's YouTube Video Channel
Follow The Rusted Garden on Pinterest


Important: On June 20th my tomato plants suffered some phytotoxicity which is a fancy way of saying the leaves got burned by a chemical.  I have been applying baking soda at 2 tablespoons per gallon of water since April and it has been effective. However... that was when temperatures were really mid 80's or lower. On June 20th the temperature was over 95 degree with a heat index of 100 degrees. I sprayed my plants the night before with baking soda. The combination of that spray and the high heat (the next day) damaged leaves of different plants. I am now recommending 1 tablespoon of baking soda per gallon of water as a precaution. I will be shooting a YouTube video to describe the damage and process.

Another one of many vegetable spray videos (to come) for fighting vegetable garden diseases. This is a tried way in my garden to fight powdery mildew. It really works. USE ONE tablespoon of baking soda to 1 gallon of water. I will also be using it to try and manage leaf spot and blight. I read it is effective but I haven't tried it yet. I currently use wettable sulfur to manage those 2 diseases. It is a good management spray and I will blog about wettable sulfur later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visit The Rusted Garden's YouTube Video Channel
Follow The Rusted Garden on Pinterest