FB HEADER

Search The Rusted Garden Journal: Just Enter a Key Word or Phrase

Monday, May 10, 2010

Does Your Tomato Have A Headache? Aspirin and Disease

Salicylic Acid (aspirn) and Tomatoes

Aspirin contains salicylic acid. It fixes our headaches but activates disease and stress response in tomatoes. Read the above link and do a google search. It's very interesting.

The short story is...
I have and will be continuing to use salicylic acid (SA)  or aspirin to manage early blight in my garden this year. I can't find exact dosages but that is okay.

I will be using 3 81 mg tablets in 2 gallons of water every 2 weeks to sprinkle on my tomatoes. The idea is the SA triggers a response in the tomatoes to beef up its defenses. I plan to have my tomatoes defenses beefed up before early blight time arrives.

I will also be dropping 1 81 mg tablet of aspirin in the soil when I plant my tomatoes. The outcome... well I'll let you know in August after the blight season has arrived.

Check it out. It's very interesting research.

4 comments:

  1. How did you figure the correct amount of aspirin to use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found on the web that you should put a couple of aspirin into the planting hole.http://www.ehow.com/how_2126099_use-aspirin-grow-tomatoes.html Also see http://www.growbetterveggies.com/growbetterveggies/instructions-on-how-to-gr.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you tried the aspirin? I just discovered it. I haven't found anything negative like over dosing etc. Seems like a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The dosing in what I was reading... kept saying regular strength. To me thats 81mg. I'll read the articles you posted. I can't find a minimum amount that starts the tomatoes defense process.

    I am thinking SA just needs to be encountered by the plant at low levels and maybe and another low does via the foliage every 2 weeks. I just don't see any harm to using aspirin at 81 mg or 500 mg. I am hoping it does improve defenses.

    ReplyDelete

Visit The Rusted Garden's YouTube Video Channel
Follow The Rusted Garden on Pinterest