FB HEADER

Search The Rusted Garden Journal: Just Enter a Key Word or Phrase

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

NOW! is the Time to Start Planning Your Fall/Cool Weather Garden

Visit The Rusted Garden's YouTube Video Channel
Follow The Rusted Garden on Pinterest
Follow The Rusted Garden on Twitter
Twitter will be used for Q and A, Reminders and Gardening Tips

It's just about August and here in Maryland Zone 7 that means it is time to start planning the Fall garden. Over the next week I will be seed starting greens, planting peas and probably plant tomatoes. Yes tomatoes! I seed saved my cool weather varieties which are essentially fast fruiting determinate varieties of tomatoes. I am going to start them tonight indoors. I know we can get into late October without a frost here. That is enough time for my tomatoes. (I hope)

I'll be blogging more on this topic and shooting some videos over the next two weeks. At the least you can get spinach, lettuce, leafy greens and peas in you garden for the Fall. Think about it. I'd love suggestions for cool weather vegetables.

Thanks

6 comments:

  1. I TOTALLY just began my fall planting today! I put in a final round of pole beans, carrots, parsnips, leeks, and beets. Its supposed to be extremely hot the next couple of days here, but when it cools off again I need to do broccoli, cauliflower, peas, swiss chard, and kale. I am going to try celery in the fall. It grew well in the spring, but was SO bitter from the summer heat we couldn't eat it, but I put it in some vegetable stock. I will also try kohlrabi, something I've never grown before. I will wait till the end of August for spinach and lettuce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put my first two seedling tomatoes outside last week. It's quite hot right now, so I hope the remainder of our desert summer gives them a good start.

      Delete
    2. It take ti the Summer heat wipes the tomatoes out so you have to wait? Do you get to grow vegetables all year around? I might be jealous.

      Delete
    3. Same thing happen with my celery. I didn't think to start it now. Leeks do great in the cool weather. This weekend I am battling back weeds, cleaning out beds... shooting some garden videos and planting some coll weather crops. What state are you in?

      Delete
  2. Hey! That's awesome! I'm in Iowa. How do I know what to start planting here?

    http://munchtalk.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As soon as your seasons temp is heading down from 90 to regular 80's you can start planting the cool weather crops like lettuce, kale, spinach, cilantro, peas, radishes, leeks, garlic and stuff. The idea is for them to be mostly in 70 to 80 degree weather. Not sure if that helps.

      Delete

Visit The Rusted Garden's YouTube Video Channel
Follow The Rusted Garden on Pinterest