FB HEADER

Search The Rusted Garden Journal: Just Enter a Key Word or Phrase

Monday, March 1, 2010

March 1st: Time to Start Cool Weather Seeds Indoors

You can check my Knol on cool weather crops or do a search for cool weather vegetables above.
Now is the time to start the following seeds indoors, in the Maryland area. Remember cool weather crops not only like, well cool weather, the can take some light frost.

Root crops have to go in the ground. That is carrots, radishes, beets, onion sets and turnips should be planted in the ground. Transplanting them from seed trays isn't effective.

Peas should be planted directly in the ground, although if the seed tray is larger, they can do well as a transplant. They need to be in trays that are at least 3 inches wide.

The following seeds can be started in your standard 9 section cello tray.

Lettuces
Collard Greens
Cabbages
Chard
Oregano
Parsley
Basil (though they don't like the cold)
Chives
Broccoli
Kohlrabi
and finally any other greens

You can do this on a south facing windowsil.

3 comments:

  1. I came across your blog when looking up when to start my seedlings indoors. Thank you for the list of the cold weather seedlings to start. I live in Southern Maryland and was wondering when should I start my seedlings for warmer weather plants such as Tomatoes & Peppers, etc.? I look forward to your answer and other informational material on your blog. Thanks for your help! Take Care, Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ill write up a more detailed blog entry but I started my tomatoes last week and Im in the Baltimore area. You could really start peppers now too. They take longer to germinate.

    Are you growing them on a windowsill or do you have a grow light station?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm growing them on my very sunny enclosed backporch. It stays pretty warm on the porch and a little like a greenhouse with days like we have had this week. I will keep a good eye on them so that they are not exposed to a temperature drop during the night. I can't wait to get my garden going after our harsh winter this year!

    ReplyDelete

Visit The Rusted Garden's YouTube Video Channel
Follow The Rusted Garden on Pinterest