FB HEADER

Search The Rusted Garden Journal: Just Enter a Key Word or Phrase

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Lime to Fight Tomato Blights

I read (possible folk-lore) that blights are associated with low lime levels. Well not lime but all the things lime has in it. So what the heck.  I am going to take a 4 foot by 8 foot raised bed and shock it with 2 - 40 pound bags of lime this weekend. That will give me 4 to 6 weeks of the soil sitting with lime. This bed did have some blight last year.

I trypically treat blight by...

1) water without spalshing
2) cutting the bottom leaves up by 1-2 feet
3) pruning leaves that show and sign of blight
4) spraying with a wettable sulpher and epson spray I make.
5) heavily mulching with grass clippings.

It keep the plants alive but they still get harmed.

So I am thinking doing those 5 things with drastically changing the PH of the soil and mineral content might work.

We will see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visit The Rusted Garden's YouTube Video Channel
Follow The Rusted Garden on Pinterest