FB HEADER

Search The Rusted Garden Journal: Just Enter a Key Word or Phrase

Monday, October 28, 2013

Part 4 of 6: Feeding and Watering Greenhouse Greens & Frost Update

Part 4 of 6: Feeding and Watering 
Greenhouse Greens & Frost Update


A couple of things on frost. The greenhouse I am using in the video is not effective at stopping frost if the temperatures hit 30 degrees alone. And this was only about 3-4 hours of frost temperatures. If you are planning on using this type of greenhouse going into the winter you will definitely need an electric heating system. 

I think it will be an outstanding greenhouse come spring or coming out of the winter. It heats nicely, the radiating heat sources help edge up the heat (but don't stop frost) and because of that the tomatoes that were growing, really excelled until the frost got to them. I can see having tomatoes 30-45 days earlier next year.

I am growing greens and cool weather crops in my greenhouse. The greenhouse should be effective for this purpose, well into December. And that is without a heat source. I , again, am using all organic products. I plan to feed my vegetables every 10-14 days with a full strength application of fermented beet molasses which is an 8-0-0 organic water soluble nitrogen fertilizer. Mixed with the beet fertilizer, in the water, at half strength, is fish emulsion and kelp extract to balance out the needs of my plants. 

This is just ONE feeding method. You don't have to follow this but to make sure you are using water soluble fertilizer with a solid nitrogen component.

Watering, in my opinion, for seed trays and small containers is best done by bottom watering. I show you the basic method and explain the reasons in the video. Because I am using a water soluble leaf friendly fertilizer, it is important to give the leaves a quick drink on your more established plants. Don't wet the leaves of your seedlings if you can avoid it. Keeping seedlings dry helps reduce the risk of diseases like 'damping off' disease.






Join My New YouTube Channel Just for NEW Gardeners: My First Vegetable Garden

Join My Google+ Community Our Tomato and Vegetable Gardens (2500+ Members!)
250 HD Short and to Point Garden Videos: My YouTube Video Gardening Channel
Follow and Organize The Rusted Garden on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visit The Rusted Garden's YouTube Video Channel
Follow The Rusted Garden on Pinterest