FB HEADER

Search The Rusted Garden Journal: Just Enter a Key Word or Phrase

Monday, May 7, 2012

Removed First Wave of Radishes and Planted Tomatoes

Visit The Rusted Garden's YouTube Video Channel
Follow The Rusted Garden on Pinterest

I continue to have radishes problems. I harvested a lot. But... I really believe my clay soil, which has  been amended nicely over the years, still prevents nice radishes from forming. Their size just varies too much. Some large, some twisted, some tiny and some just leaves.

Has anyone planted radishes in a soilless mix like 'Mel's Mix"?  I am wondering if radishes grow better in extraordinarily 'fluffy' loose soil. I won't have time this spring but in the fall,  I might make a 100% soilless mix just to see.

I planted several cold tolerant tomatoes: 'Polar Baby', 'Oregon Spring' and 'Glacier'. 'Glacier' I grew last your and it was outstanding. I am rotating my tomato plots as best I can in a smaller garden. I also put in my two favorites: 'Aussie' and 'Homestead'. A 'Baxters Bush Cherry' is in a sunken container as well as two 'Patio Hybrids'in their own container. I plan to get the rest in this weekend.

I plan newspaper the garden and actually mulch it with shredded cedar. Of course I need to find out if there are any negatives to cedar mulch. I know wood decaying can suck the nitrogen out of the ground, so  some 10-10-10 should help as a precaution. Why do this? To create a disease barrier between the tomato and soil.




6 comments:

  1. Last year I used a potting mix with bad results. Twice. This year I used a mix of potting soil, peat moss and leafgro with better results. I also switched to French Breakfest Rads and had better luck. The different radishes could have made the difference??? But the soils was about 1/3 each in raised beds. Who knows? I did get better results this year though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm. Maybe heavy on the leaf grow on my experiment then. My goal is big round radishes and long white radishes. I get some. But not at the consistent number I think they should be at.

      Delete
  2. I have never grown radish in raised beds. The soil I use to grow them in large pots are sandy and loose. This is what guy who sold me the seeds suggested and it is working well for me. I should also mention my radishes are not the white and red small round ones - mine are the long white diacon/mooli type that we use in Indian style cooking quiet often.

    The varieties of tomato your grow in your garden inspires me. In addition to the beefsteak and the patio variety of tomato I had I recently bought the seeds of cranberry tomato plant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did get a bunch of sand at the torn and damaged bags pile of our local do-it-yourself store. 50% off damaged products!

      I grow long white icicle radishes too. A mix of leaf grow (from above) and sand. And my clay.

      Im not familiar with the cranberry tomato. Is it name for taste or size?

      Delete
  3. I thought it was too much nitrogen but who knows

    ReplyDelete

Visit The Rusted Garden's YouTube Video Channel
Follow The Rusted Garden on Pinterest