FB HEADER

Search The Rusted Garden Journal: Just Enter a Key Word or Phrase

Saturday, April 21, 2012

So What Did You Do in Your Vegetable Garden This Week?

Visit The Rusted Garden's YouTube Video Channel
Follow The Rusted Garden on Pinterest

I am curious to see and read what you are all doing in your gardens. Don't be shy and feel free to leave a comment or more... like a picture.

I was able to mange my blog and tweak it a bit over the last few days.  I shot 4 more garden videos but that was the technical 'gardening' work. For actual earth work...

Let see. I planted my leeks and will be getting my mustard greens, red kale and lettuces in tomorrow. I was able to pick radishes today and as well as pull a bunch of greens together for a salad. I put down my iron phosphate to start my annual war on slugs and snails and I transplanted a bunch of peppers and tomatoes into cups.

Tomorrow I am actually dreading cutting down all the dead tall grasses from last year and weeding. PAINFULLY BORING WORK.  Yes, I am way behind on that stuff and I have to cut the grass and all that. I like to clean the yard up so the garden stands out but I always seem to get distracted. Go CAPS (hockey fan).

I also want to put together another 4x4 raised bed. Believe it or not in my area they are calling for a string of 40 degree nights and 50 degree days with rain. Horrible weather - nothing like muddying up and catching the wrath of the wife for hand prints and feet prints in the house.

I hope all is well in your Gardens!


7 comments:

  1. This week... I transplanted my peas, french beans, two varieties of tomatoes into bigger containers. I put few more seeds to germinate such as Banana chilly, amaranth, mustard and Fenugreek. So far only the mustard, amaranth and fenugreek have successfully sprouted.

    I hope my chilly does better this year... I have to admit... I am a chilly serial killer. After reaching a considerable height, my chilly plants always get a withered look about their leaves, they curl up, bear some buds and flowers and die even before they can set into fruits.

    Any idea what I am doing wrong?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you harvest the amaranth?

      Peppers can be harmed by too much love. Too much water and moisture can cause what you describe but I can't be 100% sure. You could always water in a way that they stay on the dry side as a test.

      If they are in containers maybe try new soil, one that is maybe a little heavier. If they are in the garden a rotation might help. I will put this problem up on the blog as a question today and see what others know. Luckily you can't got to jail for being a serial chilly killer.

      Delete
    2. Yes I harvest amaranth. We use it in a South Indian style curry. I will let you know next time I post the amaranth curry recipe on my blog if you like.

      Delete
  2. I have been working on trying to keep back the mint from overtaking the whole garden, cutting it back.
    I want to have a go at growing tomatoes in containers and have already got a crop going. My cucumbers are already growing well on trellis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to comment. I too have to hack back my mint. I actually plant it in plastic pots and drop them into spots. I leave about an inch of the pot above ground and cut holes in the bottom for roots.

      Even doing that for containMINT, they still send out Winter runners that seem to have escaped. Good luck with the container tomatoes. Watering them regularly is the number one hurdle for healthy container tomatoes. I just started a bunch of cukes in cups. Not warm enough here quite yet to get them on my trellis.

      Good Luck!

      Delete
  3. I planted all my summer stuff a week ago based on the warm weather. Tomatoes,peppers,cucs etc. I hope this cold snap won't kill them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crazy weather. Raining all day today. I worked on the blog. I think you will be okay. My cukes are sitting outside in cups. Not up yet. It's a game of chance sometime.

      I am working on a cucumber, bean warm weather saran wrap green house design. Ill see how it goes.

      Delete

Visit The Rusted Garden's YouTube Video Channel
Follow The Rusted Garden on Pinterest