If you see the white butterflies in your garden, you will soon have green caterpillars. They will eat holes in your cabbages, kales, and related plants. This Knol is about identifying the pest and removing it by hand. I wrote another Knol on BT control of caterpillars which I linked to this one.
The Green Cabbage/Kale Caterpillar:
A Vegetable Garden Pest
Noticing the Holes
|Green Caterpillar Damage to My Kale|
Look Closely: They are Green for a Reason
|The Caterpillar is Right on the Point|
I Moved it for a Better Look
|Removed and Killed|
If there is one there is more. Carefully check the leaves with holes. They don't like to move. Check the front and backs of the holed leaves and down the stem. I found three on this plant.
Remove and Kill Them
How to Use Bascillus Thuringiensis in Your Garden?
- Purchase Bt via mail order or at from your local garden shop.
- Reading the directions for mixing.
- Purcahse an inexpensive 1 gallon sprayer.
- Mix Bt with water the day you are going to use it. (It is not effective to let it sit mixed for days.)
- Spray the outer and underside of your plants weekly.
- You may need to do it a 2nd time, in a week, if there is excess rain.
- Only spray the plants that are prone to caterpillars.
How to Plant a Tomato an Tend to Its Needs
Cool Weather Vegetable Gardening
How to Create a Raised Bed Vegetable Garden
What are Heirloom Vegetable Seeds
Starting Tomatoes Indoors (In Pictures)
How to Grow Upside Down Tomatoes (In Pictures)
How to Grow Tomatoes in an 18 Gallon Storage Container (In Pictures)
Growing Basil Everywhere: A Year Round Herb
How to Build a Hot-House Tomato Cage: A Slideshow in Pictures
How to Grow Peppers: What Makes a Hot Pepper Hot?
When to Start Tomatoes Indoors and Plant Outdoors