FB HEADER

Search The Rusted Garden Journal: Just Enter a Key Word or Phrase

Friday, March 12, 2010

Planting Peas: Good for Tomatoes

Peas can go in the ground now. It's 3/12. I planted my peas seeds yesterday into the large containers I use to grow tomatoes. The tomatoes won't go into the ground for about 8 weeks. Thats plenty of time for the peas to grow.

The benefit of planting peas is that they fix nitrogen to the soil. Not a lot, they tend to use what they make. But some none the less.

The technical process has to do with rhizobia.

The rhizobia chemically convert the nitrogen from the air to make it available for the pea plant.
They have symbiotic relationship with the pea plant roots. I turn my pea plants right into the ground. Decay and time, help release back the nitrogen into the soil.

Go plant your peas. 1 inch deep, 2 inches apart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visit The Rusted Garden's YouTube Video Channel
Follow The Rusted Garden on Pinterest